Want to try some delicious treats and get a taste of Lebanon’s street food? The Lebanese, street Kaak is the best snack anyone can ask for. The yummy bread is golden, crispy on the outside with a goodly soft texture on the inside. The heavenly taste of the Lebanese Kaak will tickle your taste buds as soon as you bite into it. Is your mouth watering yet?! Let’s make the Lebanese bread at home for a double-dipped-enjoyment of baking and eating.
Prepare Your Kitchen Utensils and Let’s Kick-Off!
You will need:
- A mixer with a dough hook (If you prefer old-school ways, you’ll only need your hands!)
- A rolling pin
- A big bowl
- A small kitchen towel
- A baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Now, for the Lebanese Kaak Ingredients
The following ingredients make about 4 pieces of Kaak Bread:
- 1 ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of whole wheat flour
- ½ TBSP active dry yeast
- 2 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup of warm milk
- 1 TBSP Olive oil
- Warm water if needed to soften the dough
- Milk or Egg Wash to brush over the dough
- Sesame seeds according to preference
Let’s Dough Some Scrummy Bread! |Lebanese Kaak Recipe|:
- First, pre-heat your oven to 230 °C/ 450°F.
- Let’s wake that yeast up! Add the sugar and yeast to your warm milk bowl. Cover your mixture and leave it for about 10 minutes to bloom the yeast. After the 10 minutes, your mixture should be a bit foamy, meaning that the yeast has risen and bloomed perfectly.
- Now, moving to the dough. Add the flour, sugar, and salt, then pour your mixture in. Right, don’t forget the oil and mix, mix, mix! Whether you’re using your hands or a mixer, wait for the dough to come together and be soft. Add a tiny amount of warm water if needed.
- Knead the dough for almost 7-8 minutes. It should be soft like a baby! Make sure it isn’t sticky too.
- In a greased bowl, put your dough and cover it with the kitchen towel. The dough should rise and shine till it doubles in size!
- After the first rise, bring your dough out and knead for another minute. Form the dough into a ball and let it rest again for a second rise.
- Time to shape the softy dough! Bring it out on a surface scattered with flour. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Shape the dough to be elongated and thick from one side, round and thin from the other. It should look like a purse, that’s how the street Lebanese Kaak looks like.
- Glaze time! Brush your bread with egg wash or milk and sprinkle sesame seeds all over the Kaak. Delicately, tap, tap, tap to make sure the sesame seed stuck on the bread.
We’re minutes away from enjoying the delicious bites of the Lebanese Kaak! Bake the bread for about 10-12 minutes. Not too long to hold your hunger! Can you smell the appetizing aroma filling the air? The Lebanese bread should appear golden from the outside to be fully baked.
Tips and Tricks to Eat the Best Lebanese Kaak
- After kneading the dough, place your bowl in a warm place like your oven or microwave for a quick rise of the dough.
- After shaping your dough and just before inserting the bread into the oven, set it aside for about 15 minutes. We know your tummy is grumbling now, but those minutes will give your Kaak a rich and yummy flavor.
- When in the oven, give your tray a rotation once during the 10 to 12 minutes. That way, you can ensure an evenly cooked Lebanese bread.
- Zaatar fan? After removing the bread from the oven, let it cool down a bit. Then, cut a small hole in the center of the Kaak bread, add some Zaatar and shake it well. Mmm, yummy in your tummy!
Is your tummy begging you for a bite from the Lebanese Kaak bread? Don’t worry if you’re not into baking! Boulangerie Du Mayass will save you from craving the Lebanese Kaak bread. Visit our bakery and enjoy the traditional, fresh, and crusty bread. Our experienced chefs will make sure to satisfy your hunger with the unforgettable taste of their baked Lebanese bread. Visit us now and order your sesame Lebanese Kaak!